Thursday, January 04, 2007

Where did December go?

At the end of November, I thought I would have plenty of time in December to do all the things I put off all autumn. I'd spent most of November trying to grade student papers and complete Nanowrimo (missed it by around 11,000 words BTW) and was desperate for time off to do (mostly) nothing but also maybe go to a museum, treat myself to a manicure/pedicure, paint my hallway, indulge in a little retail therapy...and prepare for Christmas.

I ended up spending most of December running around like a chicken with no head. First, I was grading my students' final portfolios, then I had to prepare for a reading at New York Stories (which went well, BTW), then Tord and I went to Copenhagen and so on. Add in to all of this I had other classes to teach, Christmas presents to buy, Christmas parties to attend, and then all of the sudden it was Christmas Eve and I was exhausted.

My hallway is still that horrid shade of yellow I painted it on a whim a few years ago.
My nails and toenails are still in need of manicuring and pedicuring.
The only museum I have been near was one I walked past in Copenhagen.
The only retail therapy I indulged in was buying Christmas presents for other people.

But I have indulged in long mornings of sleeping in, which is always a good thing.

Yesterday was my birthday. I still haven't bought a birthday present for myself. Maybe I will do that today.

But the most important thing for me to do today is get back to work on my writing. I also need to send out more query letters so Karin and I know when we can have a celebration of acceptance instead of just celebrations of rejection.

So today, besides updating this blog, I will spend at least two hours working on my unfinished Nanowrimo novel. I will also renew my Friskis och Svettis card. Time to start yoga and Core again.

And maybe I will go to a museum. Who knows?

No comments: