Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring has sprung...

Today is one of those days when I love living in Stockholm. After the initial grumpy reaction to what appeared to be another gray day, I was pleasantly surprised by a suddenly blue sky filled with spring sunshine. And a day like that means only one thing: Kafé Sjöstugan. Now, those of you who don't know about Sjöstugan, it's a quaint little café in Bergshamra on the shores of Brunnsviken. Tord and I like walking there whenever the weather is good and sitting in the sunshine with a cinnamon bun and a cup of coffee. You feel like you're in the countryside without actually having to be in the countryside. It's nice. Today was a nice, calm day--no snarky people in sight (always a good thing) and ducks waddling around quacking.

We could see evidence that spring has arrived--unfortunately I forgot my camera at home otherwise I would have posted a few pictures of sage beginning to become green again, tulips sprouting and crocuses in all their finery. The winter ice on Brunnsviken is receding and becoming a memory. Ducks and swans have returned. It was just a lovely afternoon. I almost dread when it gets warmer and the "weird" people show up--the girls from Östermalm who are "slumming it", who show up in stilettos and complain about their heels sinking in the soil, obnoxious porkchops (boys with oily-looking, slicked back hair who usually hang out around Stureplan) who brag in too-loud voices about their boats and VIP cards. Luckily, it's not that often when these "weird people" show up--but when they do, they disturb this idyllic little place. I like it when people from the area are there, people who go there because they like that the buns aren't always the same size, who come there because it is a place that sells organic products and who like the mismatched cups, who like the ducks and don't go "Üsch!" everytime something like a bumblebee or a sparrow comes near them.

Soon it'll be perfect weather for a long, long walk around Hagapark. And soon it'll be perfect boule weather. Ooh....and barbecuing...I am longing for that. :)

But for now, I am still wearing a fleece jacket and a scarf, longing for the day I can put on my shorts and sandals and enjoy a glass of rosé outdoors.

Spring...ahhh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But do not mention the word "Sjöstugan" before getting there else there be rain.