Saturday, September 02, 2006

I don't have a driver's license. I never saw the point in one until now. I, like a lot of Stockholmers, have fallen in love with the Mini. I already know what color I want mine to be: charcoal gray with white racing stripes. I can already envision myself behind the wheel, tooling around Stockholm and environs while Audioslave blasts through the car speakers. Beside me, Tord will read the map but I'll know where I'm going.

Now I just have to learn how to drive. I should have learned in high school but I had a bike and a bus card so I didn't care about driving. Besides, car insurance costs in Philly were astronomical and my parents had already decided that if we wanted to learn to drive we had to pay for everything associated with it ourselves I became a frequent patron of SEPTA and taxis. And here in Stockholm I am still a patron of SL (Stockholm's version of SEPTA) and taxis.

When I first moved here, I told myself I'd learn to drive. But back then getting a driver's license in Sweden was so expensive I decided investing in SL was a better idea. I could have happily gone on not caring about a driver's license if it weren't for the relaunch of the Mini and a long-standing wish to spend an entire summer in Italy. I figure, if I have my license, I can rent a car while in Umbria and drive around until I can't stand the beauty of that province any longer--as if that would happen!

So I just have to work up the nerve. I've already got my friends Sara and Grace hounding me about getting a license. Plus I know Tord is dreaming of roadtripping our way across the US, which I think sounds like a mighty fine idea. Much as I love Philadelphia, I don't want to spend every waking moment of my vacations in the US in the City of Brotherly Love.

I'm getting closer to going to driving school--I've actually made a list of three I am considering. One is conveniently located just 200 meters from my apartment. My main criterion is that I want to learn to drive an automatic, not manual car. I don't give two hoots about changing gears and remembering to release the clutch. Let the car do that. I just want to drive.

If I'm lucky, I'll have actually taken a course, passed the written test and the road test by December or January.

Let's see what happens next.

By the way, I finished writing my short story. I spent six hours writing today. I think I deserve a cocktail now.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Kim!

I'm sorry I've been quiet. I've had Internet service for a week, but I just haven't had the motivation to sit down and respond to emails. We're still unpacking boxes, shopping for "the little things," shopping for the big things (like a sofa, bed and dining room chairs), and trying to settle in.

I love your post. I don't know how to drive either. In high school, I decided not to take Driver's Education because I knew I'd never buy a car. Now that we're in Manhattan, I definitely don't see a need for a car. But, like you, I have desires to go on cross country trips and my husband can't do all the driving. The mini you want sounds lovely.

Thanks so much for buying This is Chick Lit! I'm glad you enjoyed my story.

Karen said...

And congratulations on finishing your short story!

I hope you had that cocktail...